xe_logoBest way to have a easy to access XE database and APEX on top of it is to put them on a Ubuntu Server virtual machine that I start just when I need.

Installation of 10g Express Edition should not take more than 10 minutes and the steps are below:

1. Prepare the swap space
If you have less than 1GB memory run the following commands to create swap space:

$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swpfs1 bs=1M count=1000
$ sudo mkswap /swpfs1
$ sudo swapon /swpfs1

2. Add new Aptitude source and get the GPG key for Oracle
2.1. First modify /etc/apt/sources.list file:

$ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

2.2. Append following line:

deb http://oss.oracle.com/debian unstable main non-free

2.3. Save and close the file. Next import GPG key:

$ wget http://oss.oracle.com/el4/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle -O- | sudo apt-key add –

2.4. Update package database:

$ sudo apt-get update

3. Install Oracle 10g XE:

$ sudo apt-get install oracle-xe

4. Post-install configuration
4.1. You must configure Oracle TCP/IP port and other parameters. Simply type the following command:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure

4.2. Add environment variables in .profile

$ cd ~
$ vi .profile

Add the following lines:

export ORACLE_SID=XE
export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server
export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

Good luck,
Andrei

Related posts:

Tags: , , , , ,
20 Responses to “Install Oracle 10g XE on Ubuntu Server 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope”
  1. hamzaNo Gravatar says:

i did this steps on ubunto desktop 9.04, the installation completed, but post installation steps didnt,

$ sudo /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure –> sudo: /etc/init.d/oracle-xe: command not found

your advice please

2. andreiashNo Gravatar says:

are you sure that installation was successful ?
    Just do the apt-get install once again to make sure it was.

3. loetmannNo Gravatar says:

thanks a lot for this short tutorial. Itร‚ยดs great since I love to separate my development environments in virtual machines. But since you installed it in the server edition I guess you have not prepared X11 in order to run a javascript-capable browser like FireFox to switch HTTP Access to “Availlable from local server and remote clients”

How did you manage this issue?

Regards

4. DhanjaiNo Gravatar says:

Excellent! This is very helpful

5. deepakNo Gravatar says:

hi andre !
    i read ur guidelines. But i didn’t figured out my problem. I have oracle-xe*…..*.deb package of oracle.
    and i tried command like $sudo dpkg -i oracle*
    But it end with command errors want installation stopd working.
    I really appreciate ur efforts if u can help me.

6. andreiashNo Gravatar says:

what exactly are these errors saying?

7. camestres.com » Links for 19/11/2009 says:

[…] Install Oracle 10g XE on Ubuntu Server 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope » Andrei DANEASA’s Blog – […]

8. FigoNo Gravatar says:

Hi Andrei,
    Upon following your tutorials to install 10g EX… at #2.4….update package database, mine failed to fetch the packages giving me the following message at the end:

W: Failed to fetch http://oss.oracle.com/debian/dists/unstable/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

could you pls help find why b’cos #3 is failing too. Thank you.

9. andreiashNo Gravatar says:

there is no such folder “binary-amd64”.
    As there is no official support for XE and also Ubuntu Server, please ask this on XE oracle forum. Guys from development are always keeping an eye on forums and you can get a good answer there.

If you’ll make it work please share the answer with me here.

10. andreiashNo Gravatar says:
  11. FigoNo Gravatar says:

Hi,
    Ok and thanks for your response.

12. kenjiruNo Gravatar says:

Hello Andrei,

I’m trying to install Oracle 10g XE on Ubuntu 9.10 32bits, but I’m getting the following error:
    Setting up oracle-xe-universal (10.2.0.1-1.0) …
    Executing Post-install steps…
    sh: Can’t open /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/install/sqlnet/setowner.sh
    -e You must run ‘/etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure’ as the root user to configure the database.

There is no file /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure, I guess the installation stops at the setowner.sh.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks!

13. andreiashNo Gravatar says:

are you sure the file oracle-xe is not there? maybe you don’t have permissions. “configure” is a parameter passed to that executable.
    and don’t forget sudo

14. kenjiruNo Gravatar says:

I was trying to install the .deb downloaded from the oracle website, not the one from the repository. I’ll give it another try when I’ll have a decent wireless connection.

Thank you for help.

15. Who???No Gravatar says:

THANKS ANDREIASH,…. GREAT TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!!! ); ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I FINALLY installed Oracle 10g XE!!!!!!!!! ;);)

16. RaphaelNo Gravatar says:

I have installed successfully but anytime i try to login with the credentials i specified during the installation, it denies me access.
    This is with the console and the web interface.
    Pls help me out!

Thanks

17. andreiashNo Gravatar says:

I have no idea why this is happening. It might have something to do with your packages, like you missed to install a package and now you’re getting a strange error.

18. SunflowerNo Gravatar says:

Thank you. As someone who is new to linux, I found all of this a little intimidating. Instead of steps 2 and 3 I used “sudo dpkg -i oracle-xe-universal_10.2.0.1-1.1_i386.deb” and that seemed to work just fine. I did step 4.1, but not the rest. It all seems to be working fine. I guess I will know tomorrow when I try to start the system again.

19. Engr.M.K ChowdhuryNo Gravatar says:

hi,
    this is really great guide line.
    would you pls, explain how we can get form web browser ?

thanks

20. madasamyNo Gravatar says:

Even i am getting the same issue as below.. anyone has got solution for this ??

madasamy@madasamy-ubuntu:/opt/oracle$ sudo /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure
    sudo: /etc/init.d/oracle-xe: command not found

I used deb package. after getting this error, i tried to uninstall the installation and tried to double click and open via UI and it opened Software center. There i get the error “bad package with the following issues:

Lintian check results for /home/madasamy/Documents/Madasamy/Installables/oracle-xe-universal_10.2.0.1-1.0_i386.deb:
    E: oracle-xe-universal: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin/listener.ora

E: oracle-xe-universal: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

E: oracle-xe-universal: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/postDBCreation.sql

E: oracle-xe-universal: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/init.ora

E: oracle-xe-universal: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/initXETemp.ora

why is it so ?? Please let me know if you have any idea..